Biblefood.com is "Printer Friendly"
Last updated: Sep 23, 2013
Post/Read Comments Here
What's New: Is the Bible "inspired"?
2. How can you know if you are "saved"?
There are so many voices out there, and so much confusion. It was a joy for me to discover the following ten assurances of our salvation from God's Word.
I believe God wants His people to KNOW FOR SURE that they are born again children of God. As John wrote in 1 John 1:4, "these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full."
1. We know we are saved when we find that we are able to believe the Gospel!
a. The Gospel is foolishness to the natural man. Until a person is born again, they cannot receive anything from the Spirit of God. ("Gospel" means "good news")
(1) 1 Cor 1:18 and 2:14 say "the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are (being) saved it is the power of God." and "the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned."
(2) John 5:24 says "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that (presently) heareth my word, and believeth (trusts and relies) on him that sent me, hath (is presently possessing) everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is (has already been) passed from death (spiritual) unto life (spiritual)."
(3) 1 John 5:1 says " Whosoever (presently) believeth that Jesus is the Christ is (has already been) born of God.
(4) 1 John 5:12 & 13 say "He that hath the Son hath life; [and] he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe (trust and rely) on the name of the Son of God."
2. We know we are saved because we can love our Christian brothers and sisters in Christ. (No matter what "denomination" they "belong" to).
a. 1 John 3:14 says "We know that we have passed from death (spiritual) unto life (spiritual), because we love the brethren. He that loveth not [his] brother abideth (presently) in death (is spiritually dead)."
b. John 13:35, Jesus said "By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."
3. We know we are saved because we can confess that Jesus is God himself come in the flesh.
a. 1 John 4:1&2 says "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
b. 1 John 5:13 says "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." ("believe" in the Scriptures means "trust in and rely on").
4. We know we are saved because God's children hear us. 1 John 4:6 says "We are of (out from the source of) God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error."
5. We know we are saved because we desire to keep his commandments (the imperatives of the New Testament epistles to the Churches). 1 John 2:3&5 says "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him."
6. We know we are saved because His Spirit is in us. (Internal evidence).
a. 1 John 4:13 says "Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit."
b. Romans 8:16 says "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God".
7. We know we are saved because we can hear and love God's truth.
a. John 8:41-44&47 Jesus is speaking to scoffers and he says "Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; (accusing Jesus of being an illegitimate child) we have one Father, [even] God. Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. Why do ye not understand my speech? [even] because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. And because I tell [you] the truth, ye believe me not. Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear [them] not, because ye are not of God."
b. In John 10:26-29 Jesus said "But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave [them] me, is greater than all; and no [man] is able to pluck [them] out of my Father's hand. I and [my] Father are one. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him."
8. We know we are saved because we can confess that Jesus is the Son of God. 1 John 4:15 says " Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God." (Notice THE Son of God)
9. We know we are saved because we can confess that Jesus is the Lord Himself. 1 Cor 12:3 says "Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and [that] no man can say that Jesus is THE Lord, but by the Holy Ghost." (In the Church at Corinth, someone was claiming to be speaking by the Spirit of God, but cursing Jesus). (Jesus is not just "Lord", but "THE Lord")
10. We know we are saved, because the faith that saves us is not of ourselves, it is the gift of God:
a. Ephesians 2:5 says "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God"
b. 2 Thess 3:2 states that all men do not have faith. Only God's children have true faith. Are you still reading this paper on salvation evidence? Do you believe that Jesus Christ is God Himself come in the flesh? Do you find yourself loving God's Word and His people? Rejoice! That is evidence that you are a Born Again Child of God!
IF YOU HAVE TIME, READ EPHESIANS CHAPTER 1 & 2 BELOW AND REJOICE KNOWING THAT THIS IS ALMIGHTY GOD SPEAKING TO YOU:
Ephesians Chapter 1 (KJV)
1. Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
2. Grace [be] to you, and peace, from God our Father, and [from] the Lord Jesus Christ.
3. Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly [places] in Christ:
4. According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5. Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6. To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
7. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8. Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
9. Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10. That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; [even] in him:
11. In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12. That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
13. In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14. Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
15. Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16. Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17. That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18. The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19. And what [is] the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20. Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set [him] at his own right hand in the heavenly [places],
21. Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22. And hath put all [things] under his feet, and gave him [to be] the head over all [things] to the church,
23. Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.
Ephesians Chapter 2:
1. And you [hath he quickened], who were dead in trespasses and sins:
2. Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
3. Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
4. But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5. Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6. And hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus:
7. That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in [his] kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:
9. Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
11. Wherefore remember, that ye [being] in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12. That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13. But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition [between us];
15. Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, [even] the law of commandments [contained] in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, [so] making peace;
16. And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17. And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18. For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20. And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone];
21. In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22. In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
As 1 John 1:4 says "these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full." Amen